Sunday 18 May 2014

Scottish Place Names

 

Clifton, Balliemore, Pentland, Perth, Balquidder, Applecross, Kintail, Attadale, Glebe, Barcaldine, Dornoch, Armadale, Broadford, Waverley, St Kilda, Blair Atholl, Duncraig, Dalkeith, Lismore, Milton, Bright water, Stirling, Leeming, Moray, Elgin, Auchenflower, Lindesfarne, Glencoe .

These are place names I am not only familiar with, but which I know because of personal connection with each. Barcaldine is where - in Central Western Queensland, our father, Perry Lyons, was born. Brightwater is down the road from me, as is Lindesfarne, my local GP Practice. ...and I forgot Iona, a girl's Catholic High School in Perth. Glencoe the street around the corner where I lived when I was ten. Milton is where I shared a house in Brisbane, and where my good friend Cassandra now lives. Balquidder, a cattle and sheep property in South Australia where my brother and his wife worked.


The road into Barcaldine House

Barcaldine House

Ferguson was my Mother's maiden name.

 

2 comments:

  1. Amazing connections with names of towns and castles. Time for a photo of the travelling gals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop singing songs from 'Brigadoon'. I made a matching skirt and top in a very similar tartan pattern to wear after the last show.

    ReplyDelete

Use anon or log in to your Google account